These cheesy spinach rotis are perfect for brunch or even as an afternoon snack. You can use silverbeet (Swiss Chard) or any greens you prefer. The chilli oil goes well with the rotis. Store the leftover chilli oil in a bottle. The chilli oil is my favourite dip to serve with almost anything. But if you are not a chilli fan, then just enjoy the rotis without it. It’s delicious on its own or serve with some store bought hummus.
Spinach Cheese Filling:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, plus extra to cook the rotis
- 70g onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 fresh red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 150g baby spinach leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 50g feta cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup boiling hot water
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons hot chilli flakes
- 5 small dried birds eye chillies
- Store bought hummus
- fresh lemon slices
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a small frypan. Sauté the onion, garlic, curry leaves, and chilli, until softened about 5 minutes. Add the cumin powder, give a mix and take off heat. Let it cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, add the spinach, ricotta and the sautéed onion mixture and gently combine, add the salt and pepper and season to taste. Finally crumble the feta and give it a mix. Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions. Keep aside.
- In a bowl, add the roti ingredients and mix with a spoon until the mixture pulls away from the sides.
- Then knead with your hands for about 3-5 minutes or until smooth and pliable.
- Divide into 4 equal sized balls.
- Take one dough ball, dip generously in some plain flour, then use a rolling pin to roll into a 23cm round.
- Take one portion of the spinach filling and spread onto the bottom half of the roti, leaving a small border, fold the top part of the roti over the filling, press the edges tightly to seal.
- Preheat a non stick frypan large enough to hold the roti.
- When hot add 1/4 teaspoon of olive oil , and gently place the roti and cook on low heat.
- When one side is cooked turn over and add 1/4 teaspoon oil and cook the other side. Turn over a few times and cook over low heat until golden and crispy.
- Finish the rest of the rotis.
- For the chilli oil, place the oil, chilli flakes and dried chillies in a small saucepan and place on medium heat. Bring to a slight simmer to allow the flavours of the chillies to infuse it. Simmer for about 5 minutes and take off heat. Be careful not to burn the oil and chillies. When cool store in a small bottle.
- Serve the rotis warm, with lemon, chilli oil and hummus.
Words and Photography by Aishath Nashidha (Nattu)